I didn’t have cable growing up. I watched CBC and Access Television, and lived for the weekends that I would get to watch Trading Spaces on TLC when I babysat at a neighbour’s place.
So now that I’m a grown-up with full control of my remote I watch a lot of TV. And let me tell you, it truly is the golden age of television.
- Manhunt: Unabomber The birth of forensic linguistics. All you language nerds will love this.
2. Schitt’s Creek Honestly, some of the funniest television I’ve ever seen. Canada!
3. The Fall Jamie Dornan is my favourite fictional serial killer.
- Mindhunter The birth of behavioural profiling. Watch this before Manhunt: Unabomber.
- This is Us Watching more than three episodes of this show at a time will send you into a deep and confusing emotional space. Watch in intervals. Take regular breaks to experience joy and remember that life is worth living.
- Life in Pieces Like This is Us, except funny.
- The Good Place Adorable lil show featuring Kristen Bell. Pairs well with This is Us. Really lightens the mood.
- Wentworth Women’s prison in Australia. Captivating and SO well acted.
- Jane the Virgin A cute telenovela about telenovelas.
- Shot in the Dark Docu-series about news stringers in LA (they’re the guys who race around to get footage of emergencies and crimes to sell to the news networks).