Listening to: OK – James Blunt/Robin Schulz
I’ve been trying to decorate the wall behind my bed since I moved in to this place in April. It’s the only grey wall in my apartment and it’s like a brown-grey that doesn’t work with the rest of my decor. I’ve tried big art, a gallery wall and even a DIY washi tape headboard, but I just didn’t love any of it.
I’ve been drooling over mood boards and collage decor on Pinterest (check my fave pinspiration here) and thought the collage look would make for a cool feature wall.
I did almost zero planning for this project, which was ~free~ and took me just over an hour to do, and I’m super happy with the results.
Here’s how I did it:
- Gather a pile of old New Yorker, Avenue ad Dote magazines
- Pull a bunch of black-and-white text-only pages from an issue of the New Yorker issue to serve as “white space” on the wall. I only needed one issue for my 10′ x 12′ wall.
- Pull ads, photo spreads, and articles with interesting or colourful illustrations to serve as pops of colour on the wall. I pulled black and white images, anything in the pink family, and other soft pops of colour. You do you, boo.
- Apply pages randomly to the wall using blue tacky stuff, starting from one of the top corners. I placed pages in vertical lines from ceiling to floor. The lines weren’t perfect, and because I was using magazines of different sizes, the pages would often overlap or be uneven. I just went with it because ain’t nobody got time to measure it out (and also it looks fine). When the wall was full, I stood back to see how it looked as a whole and moved around a handful of pages to spread out the pops of colour or to put my fave pages in more visible spots.
- I had about a four-inch gap on the far end of the wall, so I just cut pages into strips and tacked those up to fill the space.
And that’s it. Very easy, and also very temporary, so it won’t be a hassle when I change my mind/come up with another fun idea/move out. It’ll also be fun to swap out some of the pages when I find more that I like – I sense several seasonal updates in my future *crystal ball emoji*.
What magazines have cool photos/pictures/illustrations/covers? Taking recos always!