I recently had to find some paperwork and ended up spending 20 minutes digging it all up from four different locations, and ain’t nobody got time for that. I decided to spend 45 minutes/one podcast culling and filing.
Step 1: Cull
- Get rid of what you don’t need. Recycle what you can and shred what you need to.
Step 2: Organize
- Sort your items into categories. Mine are:
- Health/medical: test results, physio handouts, prescription info etc.
- Riggins: all things doggo
- Products: user manuals, warranties, etc.
- Taxes: items to be submitted next tax season
- Financial: receipts, invoices, bills, etc.
Step 3: File
I don’t really have space for filing cabinet and I have some classic IKEA magazine holders so what I really needed was folders with pockets. I was fresh out of those, but I did have these adorable folders (from Indigo) just sitting around looking pretty, so I figured I could turn them into something more functional.
It was dead easy and dirt cheap. Here’s what I did.
- Adhesive (I used double-sided tape but a good glue would work, too)
- Decide how big you want your pocket to be and add 1″ on two of the four sides. Cut.
- Fold 1″ on two sides.
3. Glue the flaps to the folder.
4. Fill with items.
Now take a break and admire your hard work. You’ve earned it.